Bristol Community College

Bristol Community College

Frequently Asked Questions

Consumer Information
What is financial aid and how do I apply?
How does my enrollment affect financial aid?
What is the award and how is it paid out?

Consumer Information

The BCC Financial Aid Office is happy to work with you to help provide financial resources to assist you in meeting the cost of your education. We offer grants, scholarship, loan and work programs and encourage all students to apply for the many types of assistance we have available.  Listed below are financial aid topics to help you understand the application and eligibility process.  Click here for a full listing of consumer information and disclosures.

Things no one ever told me ... 

  • You must apply for financial aid every academic year.
  • You may be responsible for some of your own costs.
  • If you have a Pell Grant, and you don't use it all during the fall and spring, you may be eligible to use it for summer classes.
  • You don’t have to be a full time student to qualify for financial aid. Many part time students qualify.
  • If you fail to complete your financial aid file, you cannot receive financial aid; you will be fully responsible for your tuition and fee charges.
  • If you drop out of classes, you may be required to repay some of the financial aid.
  • If your enrollment level changes, your award will too!
  • Conviction for a drug offense, during a period of enrollment while receiving Title IV federal financial aid funds,may result in the loss of aid eligibility.  For more information, click here

Ten Minimum Requirements for Financial Aid Eligibility

1.                   Complete a FAFSA and BCC Supplemental Financial Aid Application

2.                   Have a valid social security number

3.                   Have a high school diploma, GED, Ability to Benefit, or documented home-schooled

4.                   Be accepted and enrolled in a degree program or eligible certificate program

5.                   Maintain satisfactory academic progress

6.                   Do not owe a refund on any federal or state educational grant nor be in default on any previous educational loan

7.                   Be a U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen

8.                   Submit all the required documents to the college or appropriate agency

9.                  Register with Selective Service, if required

10.       Resolve any drug conviction issues 

What is financial aid and how do I apply?

Financial Aid Programs   
Financial aid consists of grants, scholarships, loans and work study opportunities for students.  A full listing of programs is available here.

BCC Title IV Code   
BCC's Title IV Code is 002176. Use this code on the FAFSA to insure that your information is sent to BCC. 

How to apply information   
Click here for the four steps to apply for financial aid.
Note that tax return information is needed to complete the FAFSA and the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is the preferred method for providing that information. 

Data Retrieval Tool (instead of tax returns)
The Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is an option available to you while completing your FAFSA.  The DRT allows federal tax return information to be retrieved electronically from the IRS and transferred to your FAFSA application.  This is the preferred method to obtain tax return information. The DRT is available usually two weeks after electronically filing the tax return or eight weeks after mailing the tax return to the IRS.  If the DRT is not available when you are completing your FAFSA, you can use your own paper copy of the tax return as an aid in completing the FAFSA.  Then, once the tax return is filed, you can return to the FAFSA online and make corrections using the DRT.  The benefit of using the DRT is that the information will be correct and, if no changes are made, you will not be required to submit any further tax documents to the school.  If you do not use or you are unable to use the DRT, you may be required to submit an official IRS Tax Return Transcript to the school.

Tax Returns   
NEW.  Due to a change in federal guidelines affecting applications beginning with the 2012-13 school year, the Financial Aid Office will no longer accept a paper copy of the federal tax return to verify information on your FAFSA.  Please note the distinction that a paper copy of the tax return can be used as an aid to completing the FAFSA, but cannot be used as the document to verify tax return information.  The options to verify tax return information are:

  • Return to your FAFSA online and make corrections using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT), or
  • Request a free Tax Return Transcript from the IRS
  • Click here for step-by-step directions on using the DRT or requesting the Tax Return Transcript

Keep processing time in mind when trying to meet the financial aid deadlines. Once the tax returns are submitted, wait the appropriate length of time (two weeks if filed electronically and eight weeks if by mail), and then you can obtain your tax information by either the DRT or a request to the IRS.   Tax Return transcripts are usually sent to you within fourteen days after your request. Submit the tax return transcript to the Financial Aid Office.

Amended Tax Returns
If an amended tax return was filed, you will need to submit the signed paper copy of the forms you submitted to the IRS:   IRS Form 1040 and IRS Form 1040X

Identify Theft Determined by IRS
If the IRS has determined that you are a victim of identity theft, the IRS will not allow you to obtain tax information until the matter has been resolved.  In this case, you must provide the Financial Aid Office with a signed paper copy of the forms you submitted to the IRS:  IRS Form 1040 and IRS Form 14039 Identify Theft Affidavit.

    Financial Aid Deadlines   
    Applications are accepted year-round; however, because of limited funding, students are urged to apply early. Priority is given to students who complete their file by May 1. On-time applicants have a better chance of receiving aid beyond the Pell Grant and/or loans. In addition, on-time applicants receive notification of award eligibility prior to the tuition due date and are considered for the book advance program. Late applicants, on the other hand, may be expected to pay their tuition and book charges on their own and be reimbursed at a later date if eligible for financial aid. BCC has a priority deadline of May 1 for the Fall semester and November 1 for the Spring semester. In order to meet this deadline you must have a complete financial aid file. Since the FAFSA can take up to three weeks to process, you should submit this form no later than April 10 for the Fall semester and October 10 for the Spring Semester. The FAFSA results and all requested documentation, must be received in the Financial Aid Office by the end of the academic year or the last date of attendance, whichever comes first. 

    Set up your accessBCC Account   
    Most communications will be sent to your accessBCC email account. It's important that you set this up and check frequently.

    Check your Financial Aid File Status   
    You can check if you have missing documents or your award status through your accessBCC account.

    Re-apply for Financial Aid   
    Your eligibility for financial aid must be reestablished each academic year. That means that you should complete the financial aid forms every Spring for the coming school year. The priority deadline is May 1 for classes that begin the following September. In addition to completing the financial aid application process, you need to continue to meet the minimum requirements.

    Workshops and Weekly Walk-in Hours   
    If you plan to attend BCC, help with the financial aid process is available through walk-in workshops and evening workshops. The workshops will assist you with completing the FAFSA and then submitting the form on-line in a computer lab with assistance from financial aid staff.

    For help with: 
    2013-14    Bring your 2012 federal tax return; if you are a dependent applicant, bring your parent's 2012 tax return also.
    2014-15    Bring your 2013 federal tax return; if you are a dependent applicant, bring your parent's 2013 tax return also.
    Note that your copy of the tax return can be used as an aid to completing the FAFSA but is not acceptable documentation to verify information.

    Income or Family Situation has Changed   
    When you complete the FAFSA you will be asked about your income for the prior year.  If there has been a significant change in your family situation or if your current income is less than the income reported on the FAFSA, you can request re-evaluation. You will need to submit supporting documentation with the request. It may be possible to have your eligibility re-calculated using the most up-to-date information.  Click here for the Re-evaluation Request Form.

    Dependent or Independent Applicant Status
    An independent applicants meets one of the conditions listed below and parental information is not needed:

    • age 24 as defined by the FAFSA
    • married
    • has dependent children (provides more than one-half annual support)
    • has other legal dependents (provides more than one-half annual support)
    • veteran of U. S. Armed Forces
    • has a Bachelor's Degree

    All other applicants are considered to be dependent and parental information is needed. Click here for the  U. S. Department of Education definition of a parent.   There are certain situations in which an applicant may be considered independent based on circumstances such as Unaccompanied Youth status, homelessness, emancipated minor, legal guardianship, foster care, or ward of the state. Click here for more information.

    Also, in extreme and documented circumstances, such as estrangement or abuse, the college can waive the parental information requirement through the dependency override process.   Conditions that do not qualify for a dependency override would include parents who are unwilling to contribute or provide information, do not claim student as a tax dependent, or live in another country.  A student who does not qualify for a dependency override but cannot obtain parental information should complete the Parent Refuse form and would be considered for Unsubsidized Direct Loans only.  The Dependency Override and Parent Refuse forms are available on the forms page.

    PIN – Personal Identification Number   
    You should apply for a PIN to complete your FAFSA on line. If parent information is provided on the FAFSA, at least one parent should also obtain a PIN.  Applying on-line with the PIN will expedite the processing of your FAFSA.  You and/or your parent can apply for a PIN while completing the FAFSA on the Web. In most cases, a PIN will be assigned immediately. The PIN can be used to electronically sign your FAFSA, check the status of your application, obtain application results more quickly, complete the renewal forms in future years, and check your student loan history through the National Student Loan Data System.  This PIN is not the same as your accessBCC PIN.

    Send your FAFSA results to BCC   
    If you did not list BCC to receive a copy of your FAFSA results, you can add BCC after your FAFSA is processed.  There are three ways to do this:

    • If you have a PIN, go to to make a correction and add another school.
    • If you do not have a PIN, wait until you receive your Student Aid Report (SAR) either by e-mail or postal mail (If you misplaced your SAR, call 1 800 433 3243 and request that a duplicate SAR be sent to you.)  Look for the four-digit DRN on the first page of your SAR and then call 1 800 433 3243.  Follow the prompts to add BCC to the list (BCC code is 002176).
    • If you have your DRN, the BCC Financial Aid Office can add the school for you.  Provide BCC Financial Aid Office with your DRN, social security number, full name, and date of birth.

    MASSGrant Notices    
    The Massachusetts Department of Higher Education, Office of Student Financial Assistance (OSFA) will notify you directly of your MASSGrant eligibility.  Letters received from OSFA refer to MASSGrant funding only and will not affect other assistance offered by BCC.  For example, if you receive a notice from OSFA that your application is "Denied Based on Financial Aid Need Criteria" or "Denied Based on Late Application" or any other ineligible condition, the denial is for MASSGrant award only and will not affect any financial aid offer (Pell Grant, Direct Loan, ...) made to you by BCC. For more information on MASSGrant program guidelines, click here.

    File Complete, Now What?   
    Once all requested documents have been received by the Financial Aid Office, the documents are scanned and indexed into an electronic file.  Within two weeks, the file will be reviewed by a counselor and you will be notified that either additional documentation is needed or that an award decision has been made.

    Your bill will be cleared and you will receive consideration for a book advance once ALL of the following conditions are met:

    • an award decision has been made by the BCC Financial Aid Office
    • no additional documents are needed
    • revised FAFSA results have been received by the Financial Aid Office (if corrections were needed)
    • you are admitted and registered in an eligible program
    • you are enrolled at the level indicated on your award letter
    • you are making satisfactory academic progress
    • if a loan was offered, you have accepted the loan and then followed up with the entrance counseling and promissory note requirements

    The funds are paid out according to the published schedule.

    Things No One Ever Told Me   
    You need to apply for financial aid every year.
    You may be responsible for some of your own costs.
    If you have a Pell Grant and don't use it all during the Fall and Spring, you may be eligible to use if for summer classes.
    You don't have to be full time to receive most types of financial aid.
    If you don't complete your financial aid file, you can't receive financial aid; you will be fully responsible for your charges.
    If you drop out of classes, you may be required to repay some of the financial aid.
    If your enrollment level changes, your financial aid will too.
    If your bill is due soon and you haven't completed your financial aid file and/or don't have a financial aid decision yet, you will need to make other payment arrangements. 

    10 Minimum Requirements for Financial Aid Eligibility   
    1. Complete a FAFSA
    2. Have a valid social security number
    3. Have a high school diploma, High School Equivalency Certificate, or home-schooled documentation
    4. Be accepted and enrolled in a eligible degree or certificate program
    5. Maintain satisfactory academic progress.
    6. Do not owe a refund on any federal/state educational grant nor be in default of any previous education loans.
    7. Be a U. S. citizen or eligible non-citizen.
    8. Submit all the required and requested documents to the Financial Aid Office.
    9. Register with Selective Service, if required.
    10. Resolve any drug conviction issues.

    Aid Suspension Due to Drug Conviction   
    The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, suspends aid eligibility for students who have been convicted under federal or state law of the sale or possession of drugs, if the offense occurred during a period of enrollment for which the student was receiving federal student aid.  If you have convictions for these offenses, call the Federal Student Aid Information Center at 1 800 433 3243 or go to the FAFSA on the Web site, click on "Before Beginning a FAFSA" in the left column, then click on Student Aid Eligibility Worksheet to find out how this law applies to you.  If you have lost federal student aid eligibility due to a drug conviction, you can regain eligibility if you pass two unannounced drug tests conducted by a drug rehabilitation program that complies with criteria established by the U. S. Department of Education.

    How does my enrollment affect financial aid?

    Admission to an Eligible Program   
    You need to be admitted to an eligible degree or certificate program to receive financial aid.  All Associate Degree programs are eligible and some certificate programs are eligible for financial aid. Click here for a current list of eligible certificate programs. If you have not applied for admissions, complete the BCC admissions application process as soon as possible. Don’t wait to be admitted before completing your financial aid forms. It is best to apply for admission and financial aid at about the same time. 


    Conditional Admission

    Conditional admission means that you have been admitted to a program, but additional information is needed by the Admissions Office (usually an updated high school transcript). You may still receive a financial aid award offer, however financial aid cannot clear your bill and you will not be eligible for a book advance or financial aid payment until the “conditional admit” status is resolved.


    Full-Time or Part-Time Enrollment   
    One of the biggest myths of financial aid is that only full time students are eligible. Many part time students qualify for financial aid. Some even qualify when they're only enrolled in one course. However, some financial aid programs do require a certain enrollment level.  For example, you need to be enrolled in at least six credits to receive a student loan, while some students can receive the Pell Grant when enrolled in only three credits. The golden rule of financial aid is "You must apply." It's free and our office will be glad to help you through the process. Once we have your information, we will do all we can to identify resources to help you meet your costs.  An audited class is not considered when determining enrollment level for financial aid purposes.

    The Money is Good, Day or Evening   
    Your financial aid award can be used to pay for  enrollment at any BCC location.  Your financial aid award will consider your entire credit enrollment at the college, whether day, evening, weekend, online, and any BCC location.

    Repeat Coursework   
    Repeated coursework that falls under certain conditions cannot be included in a student's enrollment status when determining eligibility for federal financial aid, including Pell Grants and student loans. Repeated enrollment that is not eligible will be excluded from your financial aid enrollment status for that term. Federal aid will be recalculated based on the adjusted enrollment status. The recalculation applies regardless of whether you received aid for previous course enrollments.

    • A class can be repeated until a passing grade is achieved; however, satisfactory progress standards must still be met.
    • Once a passing grade is achieved (D- or better), then the class can be repeated one more time and remain eligible for financial aid consideration.

    Example 1
    Fall 2010 enroll in BIO 234 and receive C- grade
    Spring 2011 enroll in BIO 234 and receive C+ grade
    Fall 2011 enroll in BIO 234 - cannot include enrollment in this class for financial aid eligibility since it is a second repeat of a previously passed class.

    Example 2
    Fall 2010 enroll in BIO 234 and receive C- grade
    Spring 2011 enroll in BIO 234 and receive W grade
    Fall 2011 enroll in BIO 234 - cannot include enrollment in this class for financial aid eligibility since it is a second repeat of a previously passed class.

    Example 3
    Fall 2010 enroll in BIO 234 and receive W grade
    Spring 2011 enroll in BIO 234 and receive C+ grade
    Fall 2011 enroll in BIO 234 - will be considered enrollment for financial aid purposes since this is the first repeat of a previously passed class.

    Summer Enrollment   
    Pell Grant eligibility for enrollment during Summer Semester 2012 will be based on 2011-12 financial aid file. The award amount is based on your EFC and enrollment level.  One of the factors considered when determining Pell eligibility for the summer is your enrollment in the 2011-12 academic year  If you didn’t use your entire Pell eligibility during 2011-12, you may have some remaining eligibility for the summer.  If you enrolled part-time or not at all for either the Fall 2011 or Spring 2012 Semester, you might be eligible for a summer Pell Grant since you probably did not use your entire Pell entitlement.  In most cases, you can enroll in as few as three credits and be eligible. 

    Summer is considered a Pell Grant trailer semester.


    Enrolling in Two Schools   
    If you enroll in more than one school during the same semester, you will need to take extra steps for financial aid consideration. Federal and state regulations do not allow you to receive financial aid from two schools at the same time. Contact the Financial Aid Office of the home school for a Consortium Agreement. When the Consortium Agreement is approved by both schools, the home school may consider your enrollment at the second school and may include financial assistance for that enrollment. You will be billed by both schools.  The financial aid offered at the home school will pay charges at the home school only. You will need to make your own payment arrangements for the tuition and fee charges at the second school.

    Study Abroad   
    Enrollment in a program of study abroad that has been approved for credit by BCC Office of Academic Affairs can be considered enrollment at BCC for the purposes of financial aid. 


    Financial Aid Enrollment Level 
    Your financial aid eligibility is based on your enrollment level on a specific date
    at the start of each semester.  Your eligibility will be based on your registered credits at the end of the drop period, which typically ends on the 14th calendar day of the traditional full semester. You should plan to register for all classes, specifically later-starting classes, by this freeze date. If you register for a class after the freeze date, that enrollment will not be included in your financial aid award, which means that you will be responsible for paying those charges on your own.

    Deleted Classes and Total Withdrawals
    A deleted class at anytime will reduce your financial aid enrollment level and reduce your financial aid award, even if the aid already paid out. 
    Deleting all classes or a total withdrawal during the 100% tuition refund period will result in the cancellation of tuition and fees (except $37) and all financial aid.  You will be responsible for your book advance charges.  
    Total withdrawals up to the 60% point of the semester (payment period) will also reduce your financial aid award. 

    Enrollment in Modules
    For financial aid purposes, you are considered to be enrolled in modules if any of your registered classes do not span the entire length of the traditional semester

    Withdrawing or Dropping Out Means Paying Back Financial Aid
    As if there weren't enough reasons to stay in school, financial aid recipients have one more.  Recipients who stop attending their classes up to the 60% point in the semester are required to pay back a portion of the financial aid funds. Additionally, recipients enrolled in modules (see section above regarding modules) who do not successfully complete each module may be required to pay back a portion of the financial aid funds.

    If a financial aid recipient withdraws completely from BCC, the financial aid will be prorated based on the percentage of the semester the student attends/completes.

    • For example, a student who attends up to the 30% point of the semester is eligible for only 30% of the financial aid award.
    • Financial aid award funds used to pay off charges may be reduced or cancelled leaving the student with unpaid charges. 
    • A student who has received a financial aid check and then totally withdraws from BCC may be required to return all or part of that check.

    Also, a financial aid recipient who receives any combination of W and F grades for the semester may be required to return all or part of the financial aid funds received. 

    • For example, a student who receives a W and two F grades will need to return some financial aid funds if the documented last date of attendance is before the 60% point.
    • A student who receives a W grade and a C grade will not need to return financial aid funds. Note that enrollment in modules requires a passing grade in each module.
    • Passing grades are A, B, C, D, S 

    A financial aid recipient who enrolls in modules for the semester and then does not complete at least one class in each enrolled module may be required to return some financial aid funds received.

    • For example, a student enrolls in three credits in a seven-week session and also enrolls in six credits in the traditional full semester session.
    • The student receives a passing grade in the seven-week session but then withdraws from the traditional semester classes.
    • The student did not successfully complete all modules so financial aid eligiblity will be recalculated based on percentage of the semester that the student was in attendance.

    Please review our Withdrawal Flyer and the student withdrawal consumer summary for further information about the BCC and financial aid refund policies. If there are circumstances preventing a student from completing the semester, the student needs to officially withdraw from BCC and should contact the Enrollment Center  


    Withdrawal from a Class affects Eligibility  (Student Completion Rate)   

    Withdrawals, failures or incomplete classes may jeopardize your eligibility.  It's wise to assess the demands in your life (family, work, etc.) and enroll in only as many courses as you're sure you can successfully complete. Finish what you start and you can be sure that your financial aid will remain available for you. Federal guidelines require that a quantitative component be included in the college's Satisfactory Academic Progress policy.  That means that a student receiving financial aid must successfully complete attempted courses. The college's' Student Completion Rate policy requires that you complete your program within a 150% time frame.  If you fall below the college's Student Completion Rate, you may lose your eligibility for financial assistance. Refer to the paragraph below on Satisfactory Academic Progress.

    Grades Affect Your Eligibility  (Grade Point Average)   
    Federal guidelines require that the college have a qualitative standard (grades) included in the Satisfactory Academic Policy. Your GPA will be reviewed every semester to determine if you are maintaining these standards.


    Satisfactory Academic Progress   
    All matriculated students are expected to maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress which includes two components: 

    • Student Completion Rate (SCR)
    • Grade Point Average (GPA) 

    Students who do not maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress may be given one warning per degree program.  There is no warning semester for certificate programs.  Students who do not maintain the required progress, will be dismissed from that program or certificate and will lose financial aid eligibility. 
    This policy is described in full in the College Catalog (go to Academic Information) and the Student Handbook.

    What is the award and how is it paid out?

    BCC Financial Aid Award Letter   

    Once your financial aid file is complete, you will receive a financial aid award letter listing your financial aid award offer. Review the letter carefully.  The award offer is valid only for the enrollment level specified on the letter. Contact the Financial Aid Office if you expect your enrollment to be different from what is specified on the letter. In most cases, the award offer will fluctuate with enrollment changes. Follow-up on any comments listed or additional information requests.


    Awarding Criteria and Amounts   
    Financial aid recipients are selected and awarded based on calculated financial need using standards developed by the U.S. Department of Education to estimate a fair student and family contribution.  The Federal Pell Grant Program provides grants to low-income students and the award value is based on the federal expected family contribution, derived using the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), and the student’s enrollment level.  Other grant and loan funds are awarded to students based on financial need, enrollment level, and the availability of funds. Files completed early and by the May 1 priority deadline have the best chance of receiving other grant assistance.  Financial aid funds are awarded on a rolling basis using the criteria established for each fund, such as residency, enrollment level, and calculated financial need.  As funding permits, the Financial Aid Office strives to provide assistance to meet each eligible applicant’s direct educational costs.

    John and Abigail Adams Scholarship Recipients   
    Send a copy of your award letter to the Financial Aid Office – be sure to keep your original letter. To receive these funds, you need to enroll in college for the fall semester immediately following high school graduation; complete the
    FAFSA maintain full time enrollment and a 3.0 GPA. Twelve credits or more is considered a full time semester. At BCC, the scholarship is valued at $24 per credit or a minimum of $288 per semester. This program is administered by the Massachusetts Office of Student Financial Assistance. 

    MA Tuition Waiver   
    This need-based waiver is awarded to eligible Massachusetts residents enrolled in state-supported classes based on registration at the time the funds are awarded.  Eligible classes have a section number beginning with "A" and  a TUI1 billing code.   These funds will waive only TUI1 charges.  If your class section designation changes and is no longer an "A" section class, this waiver cannot be applied and usually cannot be replaced with other funds.  The MA Tuition Waiver will be cancelled if you have another state waiver (Adams Scholarship, Mass Rehab, Foster, Veteran, etc).

    accessBCC One Card and accessBCC Refund Card   
    These are two separate cards and each card has many different uses.
    For financial aid purposes, 
       accessBCC One Card is used for financial aid book advances, Bristol$, and Green Print $.   
       accessBCC Refund Card is used to receive financial aid refunds  
    For more information about the accessBCC card, click here.
    For more information about the accessBCC Refund Card, click here.
    You can view your card balances and transactions through your accessBCC account or with an IPhone app.
    To view through your accessBCC account, log in, click on the One Card tab, log in again at the eAccounts Login, using your same accessBCC log in information. 
    To view using an IPhone or IPad, follow the download directions outlined in the accessBCC at the One Card tab.

    Book Advances    
    The accessBCC Card is needed for the book advance program.  Book advances give students the opportunity to use some of their financial aid funds in advance of the first disbursement to purchase books at BCC's Bookstore.  To be eligible for a book advance, you will need to have a complete financial aid file, have received a financial aid award letter, and have a pending credit balance on your bill.  A book advance is not a grant and is not in addition to your financial aid award package.

    No additional paperwork is needed to use a book advance; however, you must have a valid BCC Student ID Card, also known as the accessBCC One Card.  The card will be swiped at the BCC Bookstore when you make your purchases.  It is important that you bring your class schedule to the BCC Bookstore when you purchase your books.

    To see the dates for the book advances, check the Financial Aid Calendar.  Book advance limits are:

    • $800 for full-time students (12 or more credits)
    • $600 for 3/4-time students (9-11 credits)
    • $400 for 1/2-time students (6-8 credits)
    • $200 for 1/4 time students (less than 6 credits)

    A student may meet the eligibility requirements, but not be eligible for the limit. An example would be a full-time student with a $200 pending credit balance. Although the full-time limit is $800, the student will only be eligible for $200 book advance.


    There are no cash refunds on books returned that were bought with a book advance. Also, you don’t need to spend your entire book advance. All book advance charges are added to your tuition bill from BCC. If your eligibility changes and/or your financial aid award is not enough to cover the book advance charges, you are responsible for repaying the charge.  Also, if you drop a class or fully withdraw from Bristol Community College and used the book advance, you may be responsible to pay back all or part of the book advance. You can opt out of the book advance program on the BCC Supplemental Financial Aid Application or by contacting the Financial Aid Office.  Contact the Financial Aid Office if more information is needed


    Financial Aid Distribution       
    The accessBCC Refund Card is needed to receive financial aid refund payments. Your financial aid award is first applied to outstanding charges and any advances you've received, such as book charges. So, if your financial aid award is greater than your charges, you will receive a payment in the amount of the excess funds.

    Your accessBCC account will show an estimated disbursement date which reflects the date the college expects to receive payment from federal and state agencies. This is not the date you can expect to receive a payment. Awards, enrollment, and charges are verified and payments are then made to students. We distribute funds within fourteen days of receipt.

    For the fall semester, financial aid payments begin in November; for the spring semester, payments begin in March; for the summer semester, payments begin in August.  The Student Accounts Office will notify you through your accessBCC email account when the payment is available.  The payment dates are posted on the BCC Calendar.  

  • Fall 2013 payments will begin on November 1 and then every two weeks after that date
  • Spring 2014 payments begin on March 7 and then every two weeks after that date
    The Student Accounts Office processes ALL refunds and financial aid payments through the accessBCC Refund Card. 
    The funds will be distributed to you based on the refund preference you select when activating your accessBCC Refund Card.

    Loan Payments   
    Loans are made in two payments. As is the case with all financial aid, the payment is applied to your charges first; any remaining funds are then paid to you.  If you are attending in the Fall and Spring, you will receive a payment in the Fall and a payment in the Spring.  If you are attending for one semester only or if your loan is for a single semester, the loan will still be made in two payments – usually half of the loan is paid around mid-semester and the second half is paid about one month later. Promissory notes and entrance counseling must be complete before payments can be authorized.

    Withdrawal from classes   
    Your eligibility for payment is affected by your attendance.  Click here for more information.


    Monthly Payment Plan   

    BCC offers the convenience of a monthly payment plan for tuition and fee charges.  Contact the Student Accounts Office or more information.

    Health Insurance Waiver

    If you are being charged health insurance on your bill and already have health insurance, you can waive this charge.