Placement Test Preparation
Get the Free Accuplacer Web Study App here.
ESL Reading Skills/ Sentence Meaning /Language Use
This test measures your ability to write effectively, which is critical to academic success. Your writing sample will be scored on the basis of how effectively it communicates a whole message to the readers for the stated purpose. Your score will be based on your ability to express, organize and support your opinions and ideas, not the position you take on the essay topic. The following five characteristics of writing will be considered:
- Focus — The clarity with which you maintain your main idea or point of view
- Organization — The clarity with which you structure your response and present a logical sequence of ideas
- Development and Support — The extent to which you elaborate on your ideas and the extent to which you present supporting details
- Sentence Structure — The effectiveness of your sentence structure
- Mechanical Conventions — The extent to which your writing is free of errors in usage and mechanics
WritePlacer Sample Topic
Prepare a multiple-paragraph writing sample of about 300–600 words on the topic below. You should use the time available to plan, write, review and edit what you have written.
Read the assignment carefully before you begin to write. Some schools require each student to participate in an organized school sport chosen by the student.
People at these schools argue that athletics is an important part of the educational experience and that there should be a rule requiring participation. Others argue that students should be free to decide whether or not they wish to participate in organized school sports.
Write an essay for a classroom instructor in which you take a position on whether participation in organized school athletics should be required. Be sure to defend your position with logical arguments and appropriate examples. Your essay must be 300–600 words in length.