The U. S. Department of Education is the most common source of education loan funds.
The loans programs that Bristol Community College (BCC) participates in are:
- Federal Direct Stafford Loan -Subsidized and Unsubsidized
- Federal Direct Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (Direct PLUS)
To be considered for a student loan you need to complete the BCC financial aid application process.
If your BCC financial aid award letter does not include a loan offer and you still want to borrow, complete the Loan Request Form and send it to the BCC Financial Aid Office. You can find the Loan Request Form on our Forms page.
Consider the cost of your educational loans and what your monthly repayment will be. You can estimate your monthly repayments with the repayment calculator. All loan programs require that you be enrolled and attending at least six credits for the semester. All loan funds must be repaid by you. Read the entrance counseling and promissory note carefully. In certain limited cases, you can request to postpone or cancel the repayment of this debt.
If your BCC financial aid award letter includes an offer of a Federal Stafford loan, there are three steps you need to follow:
1. Complete the Entrance Counseling for Undergraduate Students - Before completing Step 2, you need to determine if you are a new borrower or a previous borrower.
- New borrowers - if this is the first time you have received a Direct Stafford Loan, you need to complete the loan Entrance Counseling online.
- Previous borrowers - If you think you completed the entrance counseling at BCC already, check your status on your accessBCC account. Log in, go to Financial Aid; then My Eligibility; then Student Requirements; then select the current award year.
- If entrance counseling is received and satisfied, then counseling is already done.
- If entrance counseling is required, then follow the link below to complete the counseling.
Complete the Entrance Counseling
2. Accept the loan - You need to be admitted to a degree program before you will be able to use your accessBCC account. Read these instructions in full before entering accessBCC.
- Enter your User Name found at the bottom of your BCC Financial Aid Award Letter.
- Enter your password
- Click OK
- On My accessBCC tab, click Financial Aid from the menu
- Click My Award Info
- Click Award by Aid Year
- From the drop down menu, select the academic year
- Click the Accept Award Offer tab
- Follow the instructions under Options for Accept Award Offers Include
- You can accept a lower loan amount by entering the dollar amount in the box to the right of the award.
3. Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
- New borrowers - if this is the first time you receive a Direct Stafford Loan, you will need to complete the MPN
The MPN will be available three business days after you accept the loan.
- Previous borrowers - you may have already completed this step. You can check your status here. Click on View my Loan Documents link. If there is no MPN on file, then you need to complete the Promissory Note.
Click here to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Note to first-time borrowers: All first-time direct loan borrowers must complete the online Stafford Loan Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Federal Entrance Counseling. You will need to have set up your FSA ID to complete these steps. This is the same FSA ID you used when completing your FAFSA. If you do not remember your FSA ID, go to www.studentloans.gov and click Log In. Then click "Forgot Username/Password." Follow the prompts to obtain your FSA ID and password.
If you don't have access to the web and are awarded a Stafford Loan, contact the BCC Financial Aid Office.
Title IV HEA loan (Stafford and PLUS) information will be submitted to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and will be accessible by guaranty agencies, lenders, and schools determined to be authorized users of the data system.