There are a variety of ways that you can support your local ABE programs at BCC. You can share one or two hours a week to work directly with learners by becoming a volunteer literacy tutor.
ABE Programs offer career development services to assist learners in identifying work and career-related goals. Having a clear career goal motivates adult learners to succeed in their educational endeavors. Businesses and organizations can help learners as they gear up for their futures by providing job shadow and internship opportunities to adults and youth enrolled in our programs.
You may also serve on your local ABE Program’s Adult Literacy Partnership. Adult Literacy Partnerships bring together ABE providers, community organizations, and employers who have a vested interest in the literacy skills of the populations with which they interact.
Volunteer to Become a Literacy Tutor
Share the gift of literacy! Our volunteer literacy tutors are a vital part of the support we provide to our ABE and ESOL learners. Volunteer tutors support learners who are enrolled in our Adult Basic Education programs through one-on-one tutoring, classroom assistance, and program activity support.
Use your time and talent to help learners by:
- Encouraging self-confidence
- Sharing your enthusiasm for learning
- Lending your experiences and insights
- Providing additional help in student subject areas
- Assisting students to prepare for the High School Equivalency exam
“My role is to help the learner with their individual academic needs. It is a joy to see or experience a learner's success.”
“I am assisting someone in their move forward in life.”
- Need no prior teaching experience
- Must be at least 18-years-old
- Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or High School Equivalency
- Must pass a CORI review
- Complete a required initial 12-hour tutor training
- Commit to one to two hours of weekly service (A six month obligation per student is encouraged.)
Contact us today for a schedule of upcoming trainings, or print and send in a literacy volunteer application to the Fall River, Taunton, or Attleboro program.
Center for Workforce and Community Education
Bristol Community College Taunton
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2017 18:45:00 GMT
Placement Testing-New Bedford-Monday, December 11, 2017-1:45pm-16209-Room NH402 (12/11/2017)
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2017 15:00:00 GMT