If you are currently in the United States on a B1/B2 (Visitors) visa and wish to study at Bristol Community College, you must request a Change of Status to an F-1 (Student) visa by applying for and gaining admission to Bristol. Until your Change of Status is approved, you are ineligible to begin classes.

Applicants must be in valid B1/B2 visa status in order to apply to Bristol Community College. If your B1/B2 visa is out of status, we will not proceed with your application for admission. If you are nearing the expiration date as indicated on your most recent I-94, you are strongly encouraged to file an extension of your B1/B2 visa or return home and apply for your F-1 visa.

Change of Status requests are adjudicated by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), require additional paperwork (I-539) and fees as determined by USCIS, and lengthy periods of time can pass before an applicant receives notice regarding their status.  Furthermore, application for a Change of Status does not come with a guarantee of approval. As such, Bristol strongly recommends that students return home to their country of origin and apply for an F-1 visa rather than pursuing a Change of Status.

If a Change of Status request is denied, the applicant must follow the guidelines provided by USCIS in their I-797 Notice of Action. They are not eligible to enroll as a student at Bristol Community College. Please note that the Admissions Office does not process Change of Status requests, although we can provide you with the appropriate forms. Bristol is not responsible for any change of status decisions.

More information is available via the U.S. Department of Homeland Security website: Changing to a Nonimmigrant F or M Student Status.